Monday, September 9, 2013

BSF, Preschool, Etc

A blogger I read linked to Susan Wise Bauer's short article "What is Classical Education?" today and I clicked through for some reason. I don't know why, exactly. I wasn't searching for more information on the classical trivium, I wasn't really even in the mood to read anything of substance. But reading through the article just reminded me of the fact that I do think the classical education model to be superior to other models. Actually, I forget there are other models.

This summer, I didn't plan much for this "school" year for Ezra. I had intended to make a list of projects for us, etc... but you know. This summer was pretty rough.

I do want to use my/our time wisely and I want our activities to be constructive. But I also don't feel a pressing need to actively teach Ezra anything yet, besides obedience. We took a break from memorizing Bible verses this month, and I do want us to rectify that.

I feel like I have a lot I want to accomplish in the next two weeks as far as figuring out what I want our scheduled priorities to be for Ezra. In terms of outside-the-home activities, what is important? He'll be 2 1/2 in November. I forget that sometimes, thinking he's so much older.

I've realized this summer that getting practice interacting with others might be helpful for him. I know that our seclusion this summer didn't help, but he doesn't share particularly well and most of all, he doesn't interact well with anyone outside of us or my family. At least not without us there too.

Now, I don't necessarily think that these skills are of utmost importance at this age, or that joining this class is the only/best way he can learn them. But I've heard about BSF's children's class in such glowing terms for so long that I wanted to give it a try (even though that meant giving up my Monday night BSF class and its wonderful teaching leader to switch to Wednesday mornings).

A friend of mine has suggested a number of activities they do around town, but I don't know if I want lots of activities. It's harder with two kids, for one. But I don't know if it's necessary either.

No comments:

Post a Comment