Thursday, September 19, 2013

Brotherly Love

The thing I was most worried about regarding kid #2 was how Ezra would think of him/treat him/feel about him. I think it's been the easiest/best transition!

With about two two minute exceptions, Ezra has been so loving to Isaac. (Well, besides that first week when he didn't know what was going on.)

It has been so sweet, this last month in particular, to watch the two of them interact. Now that Isaac crawls and sits up, he is always crawling over to see what Ezra is doing has been just sitting and watching Ezra for such long periods of time! (That is, until Ezra moves so much that Isaac has to crane his neck so much that he eventually topples over...)

This blurry camera phone photo showcases all too much about life right now.
Ezra is constantly wanting to hug and kiss Isaac, and tells him "I love you, little buddy/pal/broder" all the time. It just about makes me want to cry each time, actually!

Lately he's been explaining everything to Isaac. "Look, baby Isaac, this is my puzzle. This one is a pig. This one is a chicken..." and "Baby Isaac, it going be fall soon. The leaves will be orange and 'lellow and red and they fall down. Then we going to rake them and then jump in them!" and ad nauseum.

Ezra is also very quick to get a toy for Isaac or to get a wipe for me when Isaac spits up. He's really pretty helpful, especially whenever I ask him to do is for Isaac.

Lately we've been reminding Ezra that Isaac watches whatever he does, so he needs to be a good example for his little brother. It's been working really well to make Ezra think twice about his behavior and to feel more responsibility about his actions, but I also don't want to overuse the phrase/concept. I don't want Ezra to feel overly burdened for his brother's behavior and I don't want his primary reason for obeying to be to show Isaac how to obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment