Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Preschool Curriculum Guide

I get a bit worried whenever I talk about (or now write about) Ezra's accomplishments/aptitudes/abilities because although I'm proud of him (and I obviously think he hung the moon), I don't want anyone to think that I believe his development to be superior to their/other children's. But I feel stupid prefacing too.

I want to share this preschool curriculum guide and note the things that Ezra can/cannot do, but again, I'm truly not comparing his abilities to those of the other children we know. He has reached certain milestones quite quickly, but I'm confident that we will soon find a different milestone very difficult to reach.

I copied this list and then crossed off the things Ezra can do with ease and made notes by the things that he can do in part.

My motivation for doing this was to identify the areas of study we can work on next.

Size
*Understands big and little.
*Understand long and short.

*Matches shapes or objects based on size. (Yes, often. But not with perfect consistency, often because he deliberately mixes them up as a "joke" and because he doesn't always slow down enough to pay attention to minute details.)

Colors and Shapes
* Recognizes and names primary colors. (Yes, as well as secondary and now tertiary colors, plus silver, gold, etc.)
* Recognizes circles.
* Recognizes rectangles. (Yes, as well as diamonds, ovals, starts, hearts, triangles, etc. He knows pentagons and octagons exist, but does get them confused with one another unless he slows down to count the sides.) 
* Matches shapes or objects based on shape. (I'm not quite sure what this means? Matches shapes and objects to each other? Recognizes shapes in the objects we see every day?)
* Copies shapes. (Ah, so this is our next area of study: writing! He can easily draw circles and lines. And while he's drawing and he "accidentally" draws a letter or shape he gleefully acknowledges "it's a p!" or "it's a square!" but he can't intentionally draw such shapes or letters on his own.)

Numbers
* Counts orally through 10.
* Counts objects in one-to-one correspondence. (I think I know what this means, and if I'm correct he does it... but I need to look it up.)
* Understands empty and full.
* Understands more and less. (I'm not sure that he knows the word "less" but he understands the concept. I believe he would use the word/phrases "not so much" and "a little bit" instead.)

Time
* Understands day and night.
* Knows age and birthday. (We've never told him his birthday is May 6th. But he knows he's two and Isaac is zero.)
(Understanding the passing of time has been one of the most interesting concepts we've wrestled with. He know understands what words like "tomorrow" and "later" and "soon" mean. He doesn't fully understand "yesterday," but we're really close. And he understands "one minute" to mean "very soon," "five minutes" to mean "soon," and "ten minutes" to be "a long time". It's so cute to see him tell me he/I should do something in "five minutes" or however long.)

Reading Readiness
* Remembers objects from a given picture.
* Knows what a letter is.
* Has been read to frequently.
* Has been read to daily.
* Looks at books and magazines.

* Recognizes some nursery rhymes. (Oops. Perhaps my mother's disdain for nursery rhymes did rub off on me after all? I think I'm mostly apathetic, but even that was accidental. I've just never thought of teaching them to Ezra.)
* Identifies parts of the body.
* Identifies objects that have a functional use.
* Knows common farm and zoo animals.
* Pronounces own first name.

* Pronounces own last name. (Again, this wasn't an intentional oversight. It never occurred to me to teach Ezra his last name. Or his middle name. Um, I also never think of my *new* last name either, so that's probably at the root of this "oversight".)
* Expresses self verbally.
* Identifies other children by name
* Tells the meaning of simple words.
* Repeats a sentence of 6-8 words.
(Bible verse memorization! And lots of memorized songs!)
* Completes incomplete sentence with proper word.
* Has own books.
* Understands that print carries a message. (Print is letters and words for Mommy to read.)
* Pretends to read.
* Uses left-to-right progression. (Ish? He reads books from left to right, and we usually draw from left to right, but he doesn't really understand why.)
* Answers questions about a short story.
* Tells the meaning of words heard in story. (We really haven't worked on meanings of words. If he doesn't know the word he needs to describe an object, he'll ask me "what is this?" or "what does this mean?" but I don't think he knows what "means" means.)
* Looks at pictures and tells a story.
* Identifies own first name in manuscript.

* Prints own first name. (He can recognize the letters and say "E-Z-R-A says Ezra!" and he'll help me write them, but he can't write them himself.)
(Such a helpful list! Lots to work on!)

Motor Skills
* Is able to run.
* Is able to walk a straight line.
* Is able to jump.
* Is able to hop.
* Is able to alternate feet walking down stairs.
* Is able to march.
* Is able to stand on one foot for 5-10 seconds.
* Is able to walk backwards for five feet.
* Is able to throw a ball.

* Pastes objects. (I never thought to do this with him...)
* Claps hands.
* Matches simple objects.
* Touches fingers.

* Able to button a garment. (In the summer he hardly wears anything that buttons, but this will be a good thing to show him in the fall.)
* Builds with blocks.
* Completes simple puzzles (5 pieces or less).
* Draws and colors beyond a simple scribble.
* Able to zip a zipper.

* Controls pencil and crayon well. (Well? He does, but not in terms of drawing letters or shapes intentionally or even staying inside the lines.)
* Cuts simple shapes. (Not intentionally.)
* Handles scissors well. (Not with only one hand. But I've never given him "children's scissors" - he's always just had regular scissors. That's probably something I should get him.)
* Able to copy simple shapes. (Not really, no.)

Position and Direction
* Understands up and down.
* Understands in and out.
* Understands front and back.

* Understands over (on) and under.
* Understands top, bottom, middle.
* Understands beside and next to. (I'd forgotten about all these directions!)
* Understands hot and cold.
* Understands fast and slow.


Listening and Sequencing
* Follows simple directions.
* Listens to a short story.
* Listens carefully.

* Recognizes common sounds. (It's been a few months since I've taught him any sounds. He knows the sounds made by b, s, t, p and maybe more.)
* Repeats a sequence of sounds.
* Repeats a sequence of orally given numbers. (Um, I still can't do this, so I certainly haven't had Ezra. I know I need to work on this myself.)
* Retells simple stories in sequence. (He can, but doesn't necessarily keep his attention focused long enough to tell the entire story.)

Social-Emotional Development
* Can be away from parents or primary care givers for 2-3 hours without being upset. (Well. No? He can be away from me if he's with Seth, my parents or siblings, and probably Drew and Darya and Allison and Sarah.)
* Takes care of toilet needs independently. (He. Refuses. Because. He's. Stubborn.)
* Feels good about self.
* Is not afraid to go to school. (We shall see, if he does BSF this year... probably not.)
* Cares for own belongings. (Care is a relative word, isn't it? He's my rough and tumble boy, curious how things will fall or break.)
* Knows full name. (See above.)
* Dresses self. (Yes, of course. In women's clothing.)
* Knows how to use handkerchief or tissue. (He tries to. I don't think he's successful enough, or at least not sanitary enough.)
* Knows own sex. (Well, except that his favorite joke is still to deliberately mix up everyone's sex and gender.)
* Brushes teeth.
* Crosses residential street safely. (I can't even imagine allowing him to do so at 5!)
* Asks to go to school. (Not if I'm not there.)
* Knows parents' names. (Kind of. I'm not sure if he's just mimicking others or if he knows them.)
* Knows home address.
* Knows home phone number.
* Enters into casual conversation. (Um. He speaks and sings constantly. But I couldn't ever phrase it as "enters into casual conversation".
* Carries a plate of food.
* Maintains self-control. (Please. And if only.)
* Gets along well with other children. (Not to my standards.)
* Plays with other children.
* Recognizes authority. (Isn't this the crux of the issue?)
* Shares with others.
* Talks easily.
* Likes teachers.
* Meets visitors without shyness.
* Puts away toys.
* Able to stay on task.
* Able to work independently.
* Helps family with chores. 

No comments:

Post a Comment