Saturday, August 24, 2013

Mastermind Date

This week when I was babysitting, one of the kids suggested we play Mastermind. I hadn't played in years (because I hate playing strategy games), but I thought I could maybe beat an eight year old so I agreed. And then Seth got home while we were still playing, so I had him play game #2 while I attended to Isaac.

Seth loves strategy games, but these days he hardly plays them. And sure, Mastermind isn't as epic as Axis and Allies or something, but he wanted to play again once the kids left. I hesitantly agreed. And actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. So we played again.

I guess I appreciate that each game is only 10 minutes or so, so there are built in breaks and "new" chances. And it really is quite simple. Once he taught me how to think about the game, and once I really tried, I actually did have fun. (Especially because I did better than I thought I would...)

So then, last night the planets aligned and the boys both fell asleep by 7:30pm! Both boys! We turned on the Seahawks game and Mariners game and switched channels between the two when we just couldn't stand the interceptions/penalties or lack of offense anymore. I cleaned the kitchen and bathroom, Seth did some laundry. And though we were exhausted, and should have just gone to sleep, he asked if I wanted to play Mastermind...

I know, I know. Of course I take a photo of the one game I messed up. There should also be a white peg in the first row for the other yellow one...
But let the record show that we stayed neck and neck all game (3 hours, what?) and when we finally quit I was ahead. Me! In a strategy game! against Seth!

 But my goodness, why ever did we use our rare, rare Ezra-is-finally-sleeping time to play a game?

1 comment: