Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday Update #18 (5/3/13)

I love love love having two kids. It's the best ever. They already love each other so much. Ok, well, they're at least very interested in each other.

Isaac could stare at Ezra all day long.

And Ezra is so obsessed with Isaac! He talks about him all the time and always wants to show him things and talk to him and kiss him. Too much.

In many ways, having two children is easier than just one. Primarily in the ways I just mentioned: they entertain/distract each other. But it's also somehow more... rewarding? I'd be changing diapers anyway, so what's another kid? Rewarding is definitely not the right word to describe what I'm trying to describe, though.

I'm also thankful that Ezra is learning to share attention and time and toys (mostly my attention, though, of course). He expects the world to revolve around him, after all, so to learn that it doesn't has been good for him. (Hard for him, and for me, since I'd love to give him all the attention he desires...) 


I'm looking forward to watching their relationship develop too. As much as it annoyed me sometimes that my parents insisted we siblings be each other's best friends, I definitely appreciate our forced-at-times childhood friendships that are now becoming adult friendships. And, of course, I have very fond memories of our childhood camaraderie. I'm excited to watch that develop between my two boys.

Having two children is harder, of course, in some ways, but I think (or I hope) this is the hardest period because they're both so physically needy. As independent as Ezra (thinks he) is, he still at least needs oversight for all his food/clothing/bathroom/entertainment needs. Isaac doesn't just need oversight; he needs complete assistance. This means that some days I change ten diapers! and outfits (mine included, thanks to Ezra's grubby hands and Isaac's propensity to spit up), but I do appreciate that they're spaced at two years years apart because they are still in such similar phases (if I got a break from changing diapers? How could I go back?)

So things are good. Hard, often, but good.

No comments:

Post a Comment