Monday, February 25, 2013

Our Boys' Names: Intro

Naming our children has been a difficult process. I take most of the blame for that: I'm actually really picky about what names I do/do not like, and was determined to have a name selection "schema"... I really wanted to have a guiding principle for our names, but deciding on it before hand was really difficult! With our first pregnancy, it felt like we weren't just naming one baby but all hypothetical future babies too. As limiting as that was, it was worth it to me because I really wanted our child(ren?)'s names to be be similar in style/sound/significance, etc.

Since we found out the gender for both pregnancies, that narrowed down our selection significantly (and, thankfully, postponed hard decisions about girls names... will we ever agree on a girl's name?).

For our boys' names, Seth wanted Biblical names, but even that wasn't a hard and fast demand. I demanded different first name initials. For boys, I was fine with Biblical names, but for girls I absolutely refused Biblical names. (There just aren't as many girls names in the Bible to begin with, and it seems everyone has used them already.) I really liked the idea of referencing historical (PNW or African American?) figures, but that seemed a little silly to insist on. We weren't opposed to naming our children after family members, but how/who do you choose?

Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment