Monday, December 30, 2013

Operation Toilet Training

I'm hesitant to declare Operation Toilet Training a success, but since I'm no longer concerned about Ezra's ability (read: willingness) to communicate his need to use the bathroom successfully, I don't know how else to describe our progress. I guess I'm just afraid that all of this has been some elaborate mind game on his part to raise my hopes and then cruelly dash them.

That being said, what else am I waiting for? Phase one is definitely over. Ezra wears underwear all day and is very good about telling me when he needs to go. Most nights we do have him wear a pull up, but he stays dry through the night half of the time. When we put on his pull up, he usually protests that he doesn't want a diaper, because he's a big boy. But then again, every once in a while he asks to wear a diaper so he can be a baby. I think it's just his obstinacy. As with everything, once Ezra decided he wanted to use the toilet, he did really well.

Ezra does not/cannot go the bathroom all by himself, however. He can pull his underwear up and down, and he can flush the toilet and wash his hands by himself, but using the stool to climb up and sit on the toilet is just a bit much still. Probably primarily because Ezra does still wait until almost the last moment to tell me that he needs to go. Still, I will happily run him to the toilet in exchange for not changing his diapers! In a month or two I'll help him learn to be self-sufficient, but for now I'm glorying in the fact that he's finally out of diapers!

No comments:

Post a Comment