Sunday, December 29, 2013

Isaac, Chunky Walker

My baby, my little baby, is waking. He's been taking steps, here and there, for two weeks, and for several days I've been expecting him to switch over completely very soon. But oh. Today he probably walked as much as he crawled. And I've cried and cried.

It feels like his flip has switched now. He is really walking. I wouldn't have said that yesterday. Today, however, has been a different story. And of course it will take a few more weeks before he's comfortable and confident on his legs instead of knees. I suppose it's also possible that he'll regress and decide not to walk anymore.

I don't know if we will have more children. It's possible that Isaac will be our last baby and I won't get to snuggle another baby of my own. And I think it's that fact that makes me so sad. Seth thinks I'm being melodramatic, but he's feeling rather nostalgic too. He just won't admit it so freely.

Ezra doesn't believe that Isaac is growing up. He believes Isaac is a baby and only a baby and always a baby. And it's probably true that we'll call Isaac "baby Isaac" and "Isaac-y" for a long time yet. But he's quickly growing out of babyhood.


**We've always called our children "chunky" because they are the very opposite of chunky, but when Seth labeled Isaac "Chunky Walker" (a la "Walker, Texas Ranger") we just cracked up laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment