Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday Update #4 (1/25/13)

It's easy to say that this was the hardest week of 2013.

It started off enjoyably: while I taught at OAS, Seth and Ezra went to The Children's Museum together and had fun playing in the water (and drying off the toys in the hand dryers, apparently).





But then...

We knew that Ezra was getting two top molars last week, but after a lethargic yet fussy day and high fever last Thursday we thought he was recovering. Sure he seemed to have runny nose over the weekend and he wouldn't wake up Sunday morning for church, but that was just the after effects of two molars popping in. Monday he seemed really fussy, sure. But he hung out with Grandpa for most of the afternoon and evening while I was at OAS and BSF, and of course Ezra is happiest with Grandpa.

Tuesday morning started off with a horrible and nauseating glucose, during which the hour wait before my blood draw Ezra screamed in the van with Seth. Then we headed off to piano lessons, all three (ok, four) of us. Ezra started to fall asleep just before we got to my first lessons, so Seth drove around the lake to get him asleep while I taught. But, after lessons I stayed in too long talking about recital plans, etc., and Ezra woke up and freaked out that he was still in the car without his mommy. And he didn't stop screaming for a half hour, even once I got back in the van. I sat in back with him to try to calm him down and therefore got to see his wide open mouth as he screamed. Guess what? Two more molars on each side of his bottom gums.

My next lesson was perhaps the most fussy lesson I've taught. Ezra was inconsolable, then distracted, then inconsolable. We gave him more aspirin (ok, I just always call everything aspirin, regardless of whatever it really is. Baby painkiller stuff?) and a bottle and that seemed to calm him down. I thought about canceling my next set of lessons, but we were already in the area and Ezra loves Sarah and Allison and how would I reschedule, etc.?

Once again, since Ezra loves Sarah and Allison they managed to distract him enough that he was tolerable-ish during lessons but he screamed once we put him in the car until he finally wore himself out and fell asleep right before we got home. By this time, my headache was excruciating and my glucose-induced nausea ever present, so I climbed into bed with Ezra and sent Seth off to see a movie with our friend David, confident that Ezra and I would just sleep for the night. Oh, but no. He of course woke up within a half hour and was so sad.

Wednesday and Thursday weren't nearly as miserable, but they certainly weren't "fun". Ezra was hurting and alternated between sobbing and wanting me to hold him and acting out in anger and rebellion from his pain (and you know, natural tendency to rebellion). And have I mentioned how Ezra no longer seems to need sleep? Like, he's good with 8-10 hours, maybe? And the other fact of how I'm much more in the 10-12 hour range when pregnant? And how Seth has a hard enough time ever sleeping, even in the most perfect conditions, let alone with a fussy toddler who won't go to sleep without a fight? So all of this teething business has happened with Seth and I being traumatically sleep deprived.

1 comment: