Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Dying to Self

Whenever we're all in the car together, we know that Ezra can very easily hear everything we say. He's a captive audience, after all. Our conversations with each other are always peppered with asides to Ezra, anyway, if not completely interrupted or redirected to include him.

But yesterday, as we were trying to talk about another facet of our "life plan" regarding activities and vehicles in particular, I was telling Seth (again) that it is really hard for me to stay at home with the boys - both literally and figuratively. But, I said, "I know that this is how I get to die to self everyday".

Ezra immediately broke in, "No! Mommy! don't die! I want you to stay with me! And to be happy!"

And I burst into tears. How does he have any idea what "die" means? Or at least, understand enough that he could respond so appropriately, so convictingly?

No comments:

Post a Comment